The Certificate of Occupancy (C-of-O) granted to former Delta state governor, James Ibori on a property located at Plot 103A, Aiguobasimwin Crescent, Old GRA, Oredo local government area, Benin, has been revoked by Governor Godwin Obaseki of Edo state. The Edo state governor explained that he revoked the right of occupancy in the exercise of the power conferred on him by sections (28) 1 and 38 of the Land Use Decree of 1978 and other laws enabling him, The Nation reports.
Obaseki who signed the revocation order said the property was on an area of approximately 1985.950 square metres. Though the governor did not reveal why Ibori’s C of O was revoked, the former governor noted he was aware.
This is coming a month after the former Delta state governor is facing a hearing in the United Kingdom and this could lead the court asking that he returns £117 million he allegedly looted while in office. Ibori left the UK jail in December 2016 after he was sentenced to 13 years for alleged corruption in 2012. Ibori is facing a ‘proceeds of crime hearing at Southwark Crown court’. PAY ATTENTION: Get the Latest Nigerian News Anywhere 24/7. Spend less on the Internet! Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that Governor Seyi Makinde of Oyo state was sued by his predecessor Abiola Ajimobi over the revocation of the former governor’s landed property in Ibadan, the state capital. Makinde was sued alongside the state attorney general, the commissioner for lands, housing and urban development and the Ministry of Lands, Housing and Urban Development. Ajimobi in four suits which was filed at the high court of Justice of Oyo state is also asking for N15 million from the defendants being the cost of the action.
In a related development, the Certificate of Occupancy (C-of-O) of the demolished Durbar Hotel which belongs to late General Sani Abacha’s family has been revoked by Governor Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna state. El-Rufai in a letter dated December 31, 2019, and addressed to Mohammed Abacha said the property’s C-of-O was revoked because of a grand rent for over 19 years that has been owed. Nonetheless, Mohammed explained he received the letter, on January 24, 2020, after the hotel had been demolished.